Questions you need to ask your wedding photographer.
After asking, searching and blog stalking, you've narrowed down your list of potential wedding photographers. Now what?
Here are my two cents on what you should be asking...
Obviously, the typical things that need to be addressed such as, what is included in your fees? Or, how long will it take before I will see any proofs? But, you need to remember you will be with your photographer all day...on the one day, that should be the best day of your life! What if they chomp on gum all day? What if they show up in sweats? What if you just don't click? Can you imagine spending your wedding day with someone who feels more like that itch deep in your heel you just can't reach? I mean, I'm all for hiring excellent talent - they need to deliver. But it's your wedding day - have your cake and eat it too! I think asking the right questions and setting expectations will go a long way...unless your super casual and don't mind sweat pants.
What you should be asking...
How are you under pressure? What happens when things go wrong?Wedding days are ah-mazing! But stressful. Things go wrong. You need to know that your photographer can hang; that they can make a stressful moment easier. That when family tempers flair, they're not adding to the fire.
Why did you become a wedding photographer?There's no real right or wrong on this one. But, I think it's good to know where their passion is.
What is your favorite part of the day to shoot?This is important because it speaks to their style of shooting. If he/she loves details, you can expect a lot of ring shots, shoes and flowers. If the kiss or first dance makes them tick, chances are they love shooting with a more story telling/journalistic approach. Again, no wrong answer, just helps set expectations.
There are many other questions you can ask, my hope is to get you thinking!
Now, on to the more practical.
- How long have you been shooting weddings?
- Can I see a full wedding gallery of a past wedding you've shot?
- Will you be shooting any other events on my wedding day/weekend?
- Will you have an assistant or 2nd photographer? Is there an extra fee for that?
- Can I have an exact list of everything included in your fee?
- How many hours will you be there? If I want you to stay longer can you? What is the cost for extra time?
- How long before I receive my photos? How many photos can I expect?
- Can I give you a list of shots I want?
- What happens if you get sick or become unable to shoot my wedding?
- Have you ever had to cancel on a bride?
At the end of the day you need to be able to completely trust them. Don't get caught up in pinterest land and set an expectation that no one can deliver on. Wedding photographers LOVE what they do and are in this business to capture just that. You should feel 100% comfortable with them as a person as well as how they work, otherwise you may end up adding more stress to what should be a fun, stress-free day!
Where to next?